PhD in History (title awarded on 7 October 2015)
2011-2015, University of Bucharest
Thesis: The 1971-1975 Five-Year Plan in Socialist Romania. Between Technocratic Trends and Political Imperatives (in Romanian)
Supervisor: Prof. Bogdan Murgescu
MA in History
2009-2011, University of Bucharest
Dissertation: Pupils of Today, Citizens of Tomorrow. Nationalism and Patriotic Education in the Time of Spiru Haret (1897-1910) (in Romanian)
BA in History
2006-2009, University of Bucharest
Dissertation: Beer drinking in Romania (1870-1916) (in Romanian)
- December 1917 – current
Project: Marea Unire povestită pe șleau (in Romanian)
- October 2015 – November 2017
Junior Researcher, New Europe College, Bucharest
Project: Turning Global: Socialist Experts during the Cold War (1960s-1980s)
- December 2014 – current
Junior Researcher, member of the Romanian team
Project: Between Bukharin and Balcerowicz. A Comparative History of Economic Thought under Communism, coordinated by the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM), Vienna. Project leader: János Mátyás Kovács
- March-June 2015 and March-June 2016
Instructor, University of Bucharest
Seminars, Masters program: Economic Performance and Mutations during the Communist Period
- January 2012 – December 2016
Junior Researcher, Center for Administrative, Cultural and Economic Studies, University of Bucharest
Project: Economic Planning, Higher Education, and the Accumulation of Human Capital in Romania during Communism (1948-1989)
- January – February 2013
Collaborator, research in the Romanian archives
Project: Preliminary explorations for “Die Geschichte der Vorgängerministerien des Bundesministeriums für Arbeit und Soziales in der Zeit der NS‐Diktatur bis in die Nachkriegszeit der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und der DDR”, supervised by prof. Alexander Nützenadel, Institut Für Geschichtswissenschaften / Sozial- Und Wirtschaftsgeschichte, Humboldt – Universität zu Berlin.
(2016) United Nations Office in Geneva (UNOG) Library and Archives
(2017, 2016, 2014) International Institute of Social History, Amsterdam
(2015) Open Society Archives, Budapest
(2015) Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (IOS), Regensburg
(2012) Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin
- Central Historical National Archives, Bucharest, Romania
- Archives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bucharest, Romania
- National Council for the Study of the Securitate Archives, Bucharest, Romania
- Open Society Archives – Radio Free Europe series, Budapest, Hungary
- United Nations Office in Geneva (UNOG) Archives, Geneva, Switzerland
AWARDS AND GRANTS
August 2014 – August 2015: European Structural Funds / POSDRU Ph.D. studies stipend (Romanian Academy)
October 2011 – September 2014: Ph.D. studies scholarship (Romanian Ministry of Education and Scientific Research)
October 2006 – June 2011: Studies scholarship (Romanian Ministry of Education and Scientific Research)
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
Peer-reviewed articles and chapters
- (forthcoming) ‘The Silence of the Herd. Exploring Ownership Concepts in Communist Romania’, in Janos Matyas Kovacs (ed.), Populating No Man’s Land. Concepts of Ownership in Economic Thought under Communism, Vienna: IWM, 2016, Co-written with Radu Şimandan and Gabriel Claudiu Mursa.
- ‘The Limits of Rationality in the Economic Policy of Socialist Romania: The 1960-1975 Perspective Plan’, Studii și articole de istorie, 82, 2015, 73-84. (in Romanian)
- ‘Building the Socialist Economy’s Motor. The Planned Electrification of Romania during 1965-1975’, Studii și Materiale de Istorie Contemporană, 13, 2014, 65-80. (in Romanian)
- ‘Exploring the Failure of Economic Reform in Communist Romania (1967-1974)’, Analele Universității București. Istorie, 62:1, 2014, 87-100.
- ‘Education in Communist Romania: a zero-sum game? An educational stock analysis’, Anuarul Institutului de Investigare a Crimelor Comunismului și Memoria Exilului Românesc, 9, 2014, 181-195. (in Romanian)
- ‘Higher Education and Long-Term Manpower Planning in Socialist Romania (1950-1975). An empirical study’, International Review of Social Research, 4:2, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1515/irsr-2014-0013
- ‘Entrance Competition in the Romanian Higher Education during Communism (1956-1979). Quantitative Reconstruction’, Studii și articole de istorie, 81, 2014, 244-266. Co-written with Marius Cazan. (in Romanian)
- ‘Clients at State’s Table. Food Service in Socialist Romania (1948-1989)’, Anuarul Institutului de Investigare a Crimelor Comunismului și Memoria Exilului Românesc, 8, 2013, 75-95. (in Romanian)
- ‘Class Struggle at the Gates of the University. Sponsored Mobility Policies in Higher Education during the Communist Regime of Gheorghe Gheorghiu‑Dej (1948–1965)’, in Lucian Nastasă, Dragoș Sdrobiș (eds.), Politici culturale și modele intelectuale în România, Cluj-Napoca:Mega, 2013, 251-279. Co-written with Marius Cazan. (in Romanian)
- ‘Territorial Expansion of Higher Education in Communist Romania (1948-1989). An Outline of Patterns and Factors’, in Daniel Dumitran, Valer Moga (eds.), Economy and Society in Central and Eastern Europe. Territory, Population, Consumption. Papers of the International Conference Held in Alba Iulia, April 25th-27th, 2013, Münster & Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2013, 381-391.
- ‘The 10th of May National Holiday in Romanian Public Schools (1897-1910). A Case Study of Patriotic Education in the Time of Spiru Haret’, Studii și articole de istorie, 80, 2013, 166-178. (in Romanian)
- ‘The Demographic Evolution of Brașov city (1850-1956). Some preliminary remarks’, in Scrieri pe alese…: Lucrările Conferinței Naționale „O filă de istorie: om, societate, cultură în secolele XVII-XXI”, Cluj-Napoca, 23-24 martie 2012, Cluj-Napoca: Presa Universitară Clujeană, 2012, 286-296. (in Romanian)
- ‘Beer drinking in Romania (1875-1916)’, Studii şi materiale de istorie modernă, 23, 2010, 37-66. (in Romanian)
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PAPERS AND SEMINARS
- ‘Global Advocacy or Self-Interested Relativism? Socialist Romania, International Organizations and the Quest for Economic Development (1960s-1980s)’, at The Other Globalisers: How the Socialist and the Non-Aligned World Shaped the Rise of Post-War Economic Globalisation, University of Exeter, UK, 6-7 July 2017.
- ‘Socialist Experts and Trans-Systemic Networks of Economic Knowledge during the Cold War, 1948-1989’, seminar talk, at New Europe College, Bucharest, forthcoming on 26 April 2017.
- ‘Romania’s Failed Economic Reform during National-Communism (1967-1974)’, at After 25 Years: The Central and Eastern European Totalitarianisms in Retrospect. 3rd Annual Interdisciplinary Conference on Totalitarianism for PhD Students, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 4-5 December 2014.
- ‘Prelude to Crisis: Industrialization and Energy Policies in Romania during the 1970s’, at 25 Years After. The Histories and Memories of Communism, Bucharest, Romania, 20-21 November 2014.
- ‘The Pattern of Higher Education Planning in Socialist Romania (1950-1970)’, at Higher Education in Socialist East-Central Europe. Economic Planning, Fields of Study, Human Capital Formation, Bucharest, Romania, 15-16 November 2013.
- ‘Territorial Expansion of Higher Education in Communist Romania (1948-1989). An Outline of Patterns and Factors’, at Economy and Society in Central and Eastern Europe. Territory, Population, Consumption, Alba Iulia, Romania, 25-27 April 2013.
January 2013 – May 2016
Editor and secretary for the Studii și articole de istorie [History Studies and Articles] journal